Monday, September 17, 2007

'Tis the Season

Well, I made my weekly pilgrimage to Wal-Mart on Saturday. While standing in line I couldn't help but notice that the older lady behind me had an entire shopping cart filled with nothing except vegetable oil. 48 oz. bottles, front to back, side to side , two layers deep. Never being one to let common courtesy get in the way of curiosity, I looked at her cart then at her and said, "Looks like you're going to be doing a lot of frying". "Yep." was her curt reply. Rather than shut me up, her one word answer piqued my interest even more. "Fish fry at the family reunion?" I asked. Granny shot me a toothless grin and said, "Giggin' season starts tonight. Gotta be ready."

I assumed she meant frog gigging, but was quickly informed that frog gigging season had been open since June 30th and would close on Oct 30th. She meant the non-game fish gigging season that runs from Sept 15th - Jan 31st. So whats a non-game fish? Non game fish include bluegill, green sunfish, drumfish, buffalo fish and gar, but primarily we're talking about suckers and carp. Mmm, glad I asked. Brings a whole new meaning to Carpe Diem !

No comments: